Traumatic brain injury (TBI) may severely affect overall health and well-being. Moreover, it changes the lives of the TBI victim and those who care for them after the traumatic event.
What is a TBI, and what are the symptoms?
Traumatic brain injury occurs from a violent blow or jolt to the body or head. TBI can be non-penetrating, like being struck in the head during a road accident, or penetrating, for instance, a wound from a gunshot. TBI can show a wide range of physical and psychological effects. The signs and symptoms may appear immediately after the injury or may appear days or weeks later. The common symptoms of traumatic brain injury include:
- Memory problems
- Mood or behavior changes
- Blurred vision
- Dilated pupils
- Sleep changes
- Headaches, nausea, and vomiting
- Slurred speech, etc.
How do you know if you need a lawyer?
After a TBI, focusing on receiving the best treatment and recovery is crucial. If the traumatic injury occurred at work or home or you were involved in an accident, or motor vehicle crash, then you need to consider contacting a TBI lawyer. By connecting with an experienced TBI lawyer, you can get all the information regarding your legal rights. If the traumatic event was caused by malpractice, negligence, or someone else’s recklessness, then your experienced lawyer can walk you through available civil justice system options. Your TBI lawyer can help you to understand what happened during the traumatic incident through factual investigations. He/She can aid in making an informed decision, getting compensation, and preserving your legal rights.
What should you expect from your lawyer?
Traumatic brain injuries are drastic and should not be taken lightly, even in cases with no signs and symptoms of immediate brain damage. Some TBIs can surface later in some days, weeks, or months and cause difficulties. Sometimes, the injury can cause havoc and render the victim in a vegetative state. Traumatic brain injuries may also lead to restricted mobility and movements and long-term medical treatment, and the victims may lose their earning ability permanently or temporarily. Your TBI lawyer can help you claim financial compensation for the damages.
To address the victim’s financial needs, your TBI lawyer can help with filing for maximum compensation, building a solid case, and protecting your legal interest. Your experienced lawyer will give proper advice and information and allow you to sue for punitive damages. Some traumatic brain injuries may result in death, and loved ones lose motivation in the draining legal process. A skilled and experienced lawyer can handle all the complicated aspects of the case and provide the peace of mind one may need during those hard times.
How to choose the right lawyer for you?
Having the right TBI lawyer by your side can make a lot of difference. Things to keep in mind while hiring the TBI lawyer:
- Experience: Experienced and skilled TBI lawyer knows the law, insurance companies, and the local court system. This knowledge and expertise are a valuable asset when you fight for the claim to receive the compensation you deserve for your traumatic brain injuries.
- Communication skills: When choosing a TBI lawyer, select one with effective communication skills.
- Caseload: Choose a lawyer who has time to spend on your claim and is not overloaded with other cases.
The benefits of working with a TBI lawyer
There are several advantages of working with a TBI lawyer, which include the following:
- Gather evidence: As traumatic brain injuries are quite complex, you need a lawyer who can build a strong case and get the maximum compensation that you deserve. To make a solid case, your lawyer must gather indisputable and substantial evidence to prove the serious nature of the traumatic brain injury. In addition, your lawyer needs to demonstrate how the injury took a significant toll on your life, relationships, health, career, and peace of mind and use this information to present a strong case in court.
- Fight for compensation: TBIs are complicated and cause profound long-term damage. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the damages and fight for the maximum compensation you need and deserve. In addition, the financial compensation can cover ongoing treatment expenses related to the injury.
- Support standard of medical care: Your TBI lawyer understands that proper diagnosis, good standard of medical care, and treatments are essential for recovery. An experienced lawyer will support you in getting the best possible medical care you need and expedite the process of gaining maximum compensation.
- Compensation for permanent disability: In a few cases, traumatic brain injuries can lead to permanent damage. In such patients, your TBI lawyer will evaluate the full spectrum of care you need and ongoing medical care and fight to get the highest value of compensation you need for the rest of your life.
- Justice: TBI lawyer can help you or your loved one to get justice in case the traumatic brain injury was caused because of negligence on the part of an employer or an accident.
Each traumatic brain injury is unique and unfortunate. If you or your loved one is suffering from a TBI, speak to a TBI lawyer right away to file for your compensation claim.