Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a life-altering event and can have serious long-term consequences. It occurs in many different ways like accidents, slip and fall events, medical malpractice, defective products, etc. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 223,135 TBI-related hospitalizations in 2019 and 64,362 TBI-related deaths in 2020.
In many cases of traumatic brain injury (TBI), a negligent party is responsible for the TBI accident. In such cases, a traumatic brain injury attorney can help with injury claims.
What to look for in a traumatic brain injury attorney
Traumatic brain injury cases are complex. Therefore, it is crucial for you to specifically look for a traumatic brain injury attorney who understands your situation and won’t back down from a challenge. When choosing a traumatic brain injury attorney to represent you, consider:
- Experience: To give the best chance at success, look for a TBI attorney with experience with injury claims. Your TBI attorney’s experience can play a crucial role in the outcome of your claim. An experienced traumatic brain injury attorney makes a tremendous difference in the claim by leveraging several valuable skills. With the experience of handling TBI cases, your attorney knows how the law is applied in such complex cases and gives you an upper hand in the courtroom and at the negotiating table for claiming compensation.
Apart from legal knowledge, your attorney must gain medical knowledge through medical research and case experiences. Traumatic brain injury is often complex and involves complicated medical terms and treatments. Hence, the TBI attorney needs to understand brain injury and its consequences that severely impact the patient’s life to present a compelling case when pursuing compensation. Your TBI attorney should have easy access to medical experts who can establish facts as per your case that can help to strengthen the case.
Also, an experienced attorney has the knowledge and understanding of how insurance companies view traumatic brain injury claims. An experienced TBI attorney knows the tactics used by insurance companies to undervalue or deny injury claims. For example, suppose the insurance company offers less compensation than you deserve or need. In that case, an experienced lawyer will not shy away from the situation and will fight to obtain a fair settlement that genuinely reflects the damage caused by TBI.
- Resources: As traumatic brain injury cases are quite complicated, it involves hiring financial professionals, medical experts, and other experts to form a solid team to assist with your case. Hence, look for an attorney with an excellent legal team and ample resources to handle your complex case. Some lawyers work independently, and yet they do a great representation to help you seek the compensation you deserve.
- Compassion: Your attorney should care and be personable, as these qualities make the daunting process of getting injury claims much better. Look for an attorney who keeps you updated with your case status and promptly responds to emails and calls.
How to find the right lawyer for you?
Here are some valuable tips for finding the right lawyer for you:
- Recommendations: Ask colleagues, friends, family, or people you trust to recommend a traumatic brain injury attorney who can assist you or refer to lawyers who have experience with your type of problem.
- Check track record: Your recovery and future depend on the hands of the attorney. Hence, it is essential to check the history of your attorney’s success to be sure that the lawyer has the needed skills and ability to get the financial compensation you deserve.
- Check reviews: It is best to read client and peer reviews before hiring a traumatic brain injury attorney. Reviews can be found online on social media, public review sites, etc.
- Caseload: TBI attorney may deal with several cases at the same time. Your attorney should have a reasonable caseload so he/she can focus on your case. You need an attorney who can spend enough time and attention to accommodate your claim needs.
- Payment arrangements: Like the experience of the attorney matters, cost matters, too. A traumatic brain injury attorney becomes expensive if you have to go to court and fight for compensation. Your attorney should understand the financial struggle after TBI and offer reasonable payment options.
Questions to ask before hiring a lawyer
There are some critical questions to ask before hiring a lawyer if you have suffered from TBI. Do not forget to ask questions like:
- Have you handled a TBI case like mine before?
- If I hire your firm, will you be the attorney handling my TBI case?
- Are my goals realistic?
- What is the likelihood of success?
- What should I be most concerned about?
- How would you approach my case?
- What is your representation style?
The importance of having the right lawyer by your side after a traumatic brain injury
Apart from the personality changes, TBI survivors experience changes in emotional regulation, and sensory perception, which leave them frustrated. Also, depending on the severity of the injury, the cost of TBI can increase quickly. It is estimated that the lifetime costs of TBI can range between $85,000 and $3 million, or more. This massive cost can severely drain your financial resources, and hence, it is best to consult a traumatic brain injury lawyer to raise the chances of receiving financial compensation.
How to make sure your case is handled correctly?
Your TBI attorney should work diligently to offer the best legal representation possible. The lawyer should try to achieve the settlements you deserve and ensure the claims are fully compensated under the law. A good TBI attorney ensures they help you throughout the recovery process and stay in close contact with your medical and doctor’s team. This helps ensure you receive all the care and work on the best course of action for excellent results.
Finding a traumatic brain injury (TBI) attorney helps you seek the compensation you deserve. A good attorney offers key representation and advice. TBI attorney ensures you secure a maximum claim for your injuries and losses.