There are many great treatment centers for TBI, but here are a few of the best:
Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia.
Shepherd Center is a world-renowned rehabilitation hospital treating people with brain injuries. They have a team of experts who can help patients regain their independence and quality of life. Shepherd Center is a private, not-for-profit hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded in 1975, the hospital focuses on rehabilitating people with spinal cord injury and disease, acquired brain injury, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, and other neuromuscular problems.
Shepherd Center is a world-renowned leader in the field of rehabilitation. It is consistently ranked among the top rehabilitation hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The hospital has a team of more than 1,000 experts who provide a wide range of services, including:
- Inpatient Rehabilitation: Shepherd Center offers inpatient rehabilitation programs designed for individuals with brain injuries. Their specialized brain injury unit provides 24/7 care by an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals, including physiatrists, neurologists, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, and neuropsychologists. The team works collaboratively to develop individualized treatment plans tailored to each patient’s unique needs.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation: Following the inpatient phase, Shepherd Center provides comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation services for individuals who have transitioned from the hospital or those with less severe brain injuries. Outpatient programs focus on continued therapy, skill development, and community reintegration to support long-term recovery and independence.
- Brain Injury Day Program: Shepherd Center offers a specialized Brain Injury Day Program for individuals who require intensive therapy but do not require 24-hour hospitalization. This program allows patients to receive therapy and support during the day while returning home in the evenings.
- Neurorehabilitation Technology: Shepherd Center utilizes advanced technology and innovative approaches to enhance brain injury rehabilitation. This includes robotic-assisted therapy, virtual reality, functional electrical stimulation (FES), and other cutting-edge technologies to facilitate motor recovery, improve coordination, and enhance functional abilities.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation: Shepherd Center provides cognitive rehabilitation services to address the cognitive deficits often associated with brain injuries. Therapists utilize various evidence-based techniques to enhance cognitive skills such as memory, attention, problem-solving, and executive functioning. They also work closely with patients to develop compensatory strategies to manage cognitive challenges in daily life.
- Physical and Occupational Therapy: Physical and occupational therapists at Shepherd Center help individuals with brain injuries improve their physical and functional abilities. They focus on enhancing mobility, strength, balance, coordination, and activities of daily living (ADLs) to promote independence and maximize participation.
- Speech-Language Therapy: Speech-language pathologists work with individuals with brain injuries to address communication difficulties, swallowing disorders, and cognitive-communication challenges. They provide specialized therapy to improve speech and language skills, develop alternative communication methods if needed, and offer swallowing therapy to enhance safety and efficiency.
- Behavioral and Psychological Support: Shepherd Center recognizes brain injuries’ emotional and psychological impact on patients and their families. They offer counseling, behavioral support, and psychological services to address emotional adjustment, coping strategies and promote overall mental well-being.
- Peer Support and Community Integration: Shepherd Center facilitates peer support programs and community integration activities to help patients and their families connect with others who have experienced brain injuries. These programs provide social support, encouragement, and a sense of community during recovery.
Shepherd Center also has a strong research program. The hospital’s research team is dedicated to finding new ways to improve people’s lives with spinal cord injury, brain injury, and other neuromuscular conditions.
Shepherd Center is a welcoming and supportive environment for patients and their families. The hospital offers a variety of services to help patients and their families adjust to life after a spinal cord injury or brain injury, including:
- Family Counseling
- Support groups
- Education programs
- Financial assistance
Shepherd Center is located in Atlanta, Georgia, a vibrant city with a lot to offer patients and their families. Atlanta is home to various cultural attractions, restaurants, and shops. The city is also easily accessible by air, train, and car.
Craig Hospital in Englewood, Colorado.
Craig Hospital is another top-rated treatment center for TBI. They offer a wide range of services, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and cognitive rehabilitation. Craig Hospital was founded in 1950 by Frank Craig, a World War II veteran paralyzed from the waist down in a car accident. Craig was determined to find a better way to treat spinal cord injuries, and he founded Craig Hospital to provide a more comprehensive and individualized approach to rehabilitation.
Craig Hospital is a renowned rehabilitation hospital located in Englewood, Colorado, United States. It specializes in treating and rehabilitating individuals who have sustained spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries. Established in 1956, Craig Hospital has become a world-class facility that provides comprehensive care and support to patients with complex neurological conditions.
Craig Hospital’s primary focus is on helping patients regain their independence and maximize their quality of life. The hospital’s interdisciplinary team of highly skilled healthcare professionals includes physicians, nurses, therapists, psychologists, and social workers who deliver personalized and evidence-based care collaboratively.
The hospital’s state-of-the-art facilities and advanced technologies enable it to provide a wide range of specialized services. These include acute medical and surgical care, rehabilitation programs, psychological counseling, vocational training, and community reintegration support. The goal is to address each patient’s unique needs and assist them in achieving their highest level of functioning and independence.
One key factor that sets Craig Hospital apart is its comprehensive and holistic approach to rehabilitation. The hospital emphasizes physical healing and emotional, cognitive, and social well-being. The staff understands the significant impact that spinal cord and brain injuries can have on individuals and their families, and they provide ongoing support and education throughout the recovery process.
In addition to its exceptional clinical care, Craig Hospital is also a leading research and education institution. The hospital actively engages in research initiatives to advance knowledge and improve outcomes in spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries. It collaborates with other medical centers, universities, and organizations to drive innovation and contribute to developing new treatment modalities and rehabilitation techniques.
Craig Hospital has earned numerous accolades and recognition for its excellence in patient care and rehabilitation services. It has been consistently ranked as one of the top rehabilitation hospitals in the United States. The hospital’s commitment to excellence, compassion, and dedication to the well-being of its patients has made it a trusted and respected institution in the field of neurorehabilitation.
Craig Hospital is located in Englewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. The hospital is easily accessible by air, train, and car.
Rusk Rehabilitation in New York City.
Rusk Rehabilitation is a part of NYU Langone Medical Center and is one of the country’s oldest and most respected rehabilitation hospitals. They have a team of experts who can help patients with a wide range of conditions, including brain injuries.
Here are some of the brain injury services offered by MossRehab treatment centers for TBI:
- Inpatient Rehabilitation: MossRehab provides inpatient rehabilitation services for individuals with brain injuries. Patients receive 24/7 care from a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals, including physiatrists, neurologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, and neuropsychologists. The team collaborates to develop personalized treatment plans tailored to each patient’s needs.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation: Following the inpatient phase, MossRehab offers outpatient rehabilitation programs for individuals who have transitioned from the hospital or who have less severe brain injuries. These programs focus on continued therapy and support to help patients further improve their cognitive, physical, and emotional functioning.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation: MossRehab’s cognitive rehabilitation programs aim to help individuals with brain injuries improve their cognitive skills, such as memory, attention, problem-solving, and executive functioning. Therapists use various techniques and strategies to address specific cognitive deficits and promote functional independence.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapists at MossRehab work with individuals with brain injuries to improve mobility, balance, coordination, and strength. They develop customized exercise programs and employ assistive devices and technologies to enhance the patient’s physical function and reduce limitations caused by the brain injury.
- Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapists assist brain injury patients in regaining their independence in performing daily activities and routines. They focus on improving skills related to self-care, work, and leisure activities, and may use adaptive equipment and environmental modifications to support the patient’s functional abilities.
- Speech-Language Therapy: Speech-language pathologists help individuals with brain injuries overcome communication difficulties and swallowing problems. They provide therapy for speech and language skills, cognitive-communication, and swallowing function, employing techniques such as speech exercises, language therapy, and swallowing strategies.
- Neuropsychological Evaluation: MossRehab offers comprehensive neuropsychological evaluations to assess cognitive, emotional, and behavioral functioning after a brain injury. These evaluations help identify areas of impairment and guide treatment planning for optimal recovery.
- Support Services: MossRehab recognizes the importance of emotional and psychosocial support for individuals and their families coping with brain injuries. They provide counseling, support groups, and educational resources to address the emotional and social challenges associated with brain injury.
Evaluating Treatment Centers for TBI
When choosing a treatment center for a severe brain injury, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The level of expertise of the staff
- The range of services offered
- The location of the facility
- The cost of care
There are many great treatment centers for TBI in the US. They offer a variety of services and competencies. You should talk to your doctor and other healthcare providers about your needs and get their recommendations before selecting a facility to meet your individual needs.